At St Joseph’s College there are many opportunities for students to be involved in extracurricular activities.
Students can participate in the following musical activities:
- Band – College Concert Band meets every Thursday morning to rehearse at 8 am. Students who are at an intermediate playing level on Brass and Woodwind instruments are welcome to join after consultation with, or invitation by either Mr Carroll or Mrs McLaughlin. Rhythm section instruments (Guitar, Bass, Keyboard and Drums/Percussion) are assigned as vacancies occur. The College Band performs at functions such as Open Evening, Talent Show, Murwillumbah Festival of Performing Arts, Music Showcase events, College Musical, Christmas celebrations and other extraordinary events as they arise. The College Concert Band has been a consistent musical group in the College since the Foundation Year.
- Choir – the College Choir meets every Tuesday lunchtime to rehearse a repertoire of Popular, Folk, and Musical Theatre songs. The focus of the group is first and foremost to have fun singing together, and also to develop technical vocal skills including harmony-singing and vocal score-reading. The repertoire is both accompanied and a-capella. The Choir performs at Open Evening, Talent Show, Murwillumbah Festival of Performing Arts, Music Showcase events, the Tweed Hospital Memorial Service, Christmas Celebrations/Carols, and other opportunities as they arise. The College Choir has been an ongoing music group at the College since its initiation in 1995. Any student who loves to sing is welcome to join at any time and can see Mrs McLaughlin for further information.
- Musical – the College Musical is a bi-annual event and is open to any student who wishes to play a part. Opportunities include: lead roles; chorus roles, set and costume roles, backstage assistance, and sound and lighting. The College has produced many outstanding Musicals including: High School Musical; the Great Australian Rock Musical; Trappt; Back to the Eighties; Popstars; How the West Was Warped; Jungle Fantasy; Ma Baker’s Tonic; Sherlock Holmes.
- Talent Show – the Talent Show is a bi-annual event produced in the alternate year to that of the Musical. The Talent Show is open to all students and promotes a variety of student skills and abilities. Performances over the years have included: Rock Bands, solo singers and instrumentalists; miming; roller-skating; dancing; cheerleading; and acrobatics. The Talent Show is always a spectacular event including brilliant stage production by the sound and lighting team – students from the Entertainment Industry Studies course.
- Instrumental Music Lessons – the College provides space for peripatetic Music Teachers to provide individual and group lessons during the school day. Lessons are organised on a rotational basis so that lessons are not repeatedly affected. The lessons are 30 minutes in length. Payment is made directly to the relevant tutor in consultation with parents. See Mrs McLaughlin for information or call the College. The College currently hosts Guitar, Piano, and Singing tutors.
Students also have the opportunity to participate in the following:
- Lions Youth of the Year Awards
- Debating and Public Speaking Competitions
- Writing Competitions
- Writer’s Camps
- Northern Rivers Science and Engineering Challenge
- Robocup Search and Rescue Challenge
- University of Wollongong iSTEM Project Competition
- Tournament of Minds
- Big Science Competition
- Anzac Day March
- MUNA – Model of the United Nations Assembly
- SJC Environment Group